Master of Arts in Journalism Education - Kent State University, 2012
Bachelor of Science in Photojournalism - Kent State University, 1991
Defense Information School (DINFOS) - Ft. Ben Harrison, Indiana, 1980-1995
- DINFOS courses attended: Basic Journalism Course; Newspaper Editor’s Course; Intermediate Photojournalism Course; Introduction to Public Affairs Course; Public Affairs Supervisor’s Course
U.S. Army Basic Non Commissioned Officer Course for Reserve Components, Common Core - Ft. Jackson, SC, 1993
U.S. Army Non Commissioned Officer Academy - Germany, 1983
Wayne State University - Detroit, MI 2105-present
Department: Journalism and Mass Communication. Position: Adjunct photojournalism instructor
Digital Photojournalism: Digital Photojournalism is designed for journalism majors to learn effective photojournalism skills. Students study the visual aspects of news reporting and storytelling. Session topics include practical issues of composition, equipment and exposure, as well as theory elements, such as law, ethics and objectivity. This course will also introduce you to the world of professional photojournalists and common shooting assignments: spot news, features, sports, and documentary photography.
Kent State University - Kent, OH 2013-present
Department: Journalism and Mass Communication. Position: Adjunct photography instructor
Teaching Multimedia: This web-based, graduate-level course for high school teachers in the Journalism Education Master's program is intended as an online introduction to recognizing and producing some of the basic, linear elements of non-linear, journalistic multimedia storytelling for the Web, including audio, video, and photo slideshows. It is a skills class, but students learn how to apply those skills to tell stories. Much of the class is set up so students will "learn by doing" with the support of the instructor.
Owens Community College - Toledo, OH. Fall Semester 2013-present
Owens Outlook student newspaper adviser: Responsibilities include:
Overseeing the student staff members of the Owens Outlook student online newspaper, to include upgrading website to make it more visually appealing, and ad revenue based.
Devising core journalism training program - an 8-week boot camp called News Academy, to be implemented each semester beginning Spring 2014.
Devising a business plan, with a goal of students selling ads for student pay revenue.
Implementing a student speaker's bureau to recruit student staff. Student speaker's bureau members will be responsible for creating brochures/posters, visiting classrooms and setting up booths to recruit.
Educating the administration on the goals and needs of the Owens Outlook student media to report campus events.
Owens Community College - Toledo, OH. 2006-present
Department: Fine and Performing Arts. Position: Adjunct photography instructor
PHO121 Black & White I: Introduces students to photography, both as a fine art and a commercial application. Emphasis on technical skills to realize artistic visions in black and white prints: camera controls, film exposure, fundamentals of composition, developing film, mixing photo chemistry, making prints and preparing prints for exhibition. Develop skills of visual literacy and an awareness of photography's position as a fine art in relationship to the broader context of art.
PHO221 Black & White Photography II: Fundamental technical and aesthetic skills learned in B&W Photo I strengthened and expanded through the use of fiber based paper, lower ISO films, larger printing sizes and refined exposure, lighting and processing considerations. Visual and conceptual creativity further stimulated through the use of alternative materials and processes.
PHO123 Digital Photography I: Introduction to digital imaging technologies and techniques as they apply to photography. Course covers digital camera operation, image correction and enhancement via image manipulation software, optimizing digital output, and optimizing image capture including scanning. In addition to technical skills students will address image concepts and composition as means of communication.
PHO245 Introduction to Photojournalism: Introduction to the principles and theories of photojournalism including the use of photography as a communication tool. Study of and practice in covering various subjects with a still and cell phone camera, photo story/essay production, basic photo editing, digital imaging/editing, transmitting electronic images. Students exposed to law, ethics, social media, interviewing techniques, and career material and research as it applies to the photojournalist.
Defense Information School - Ft. Ben Harrison, Ind.
Chief photography instructor – Reserve Component 2-week photography mini-course, Ft. Meade, Maryland, 1996
o Designed a comprehensive instructional package on Introduction to Photojournalism course for future DINFOS instructors teaching this course, 1996
Chief photography instructor - Reserve Component 2-week photography mini-course, Ft. Ben Harrison, Indiana, 1993, 1994, 1995
2016: Designed a community storytelling website for local coverage: Visuals & Voices of Toledo. As curator, I am responsible for promotion and story collection. When school is in session, this space will be used for students to publish their work: visualsandvoices.wordpress.com
Developed a Digital Photography for Teachers course scheduled for review by the Owens Community College curriculum committee April 19, 2013. Course approval pending.
Developed the Intro to Photojournalism course at Owens Community College. Lessons include learning about and using social media, to include tweeting and blogging; what news is; the ethics and legality of photojournalism; how to shoot feature, portrait, sports and photo stories; and how to capture and edit audio using Audacity.
The Toledo Blade, 1995 - present
Staff photographer. Responsible for taking feature, portraiture, sports and news photos for a Pulitzer Prize-winning daily newspaper and website. Cover events ranging from political campaigns, local natural disasters, court cases, collegiate sporting events and a wide range of other assignments. Shoot and produce video stories for the website.
NPPA's News Photographer Magazine, 2016 - present
Freelance journalist. Writes articles, and collects photos from interview subjects for publication.
Article 1: On photojournalism education - May/June Issue (Pages 45-51) - https://nppa.org/magazinearchive/may_jun16/
Print journalist and photographer for the following military publications: The Redstone Rocket (Redstone Arsenal, Ala); Ironsides (1st Armored Div., Germany)
U.S Army, Ohio Army National Guard, Ohio Air National Guard, 1979 – 2000
Journalist/ newspaper editor/ photojournalist
· Print journalist and photographer for the following military publications: The Redstone Rocket (Redstone Arsenal, Ala); Ironsides (1st Armored Div., Germany)
· Managing editor and journalist/photographer: Huachuca Scout (Ft. Huachuca, Az.); Training Times (7th Army Training Command, Germany); The Stinger (180th Fighter Wing, Toledo).
The Toledo Journal: Journalist, 1994
Women’s News Magazine (Northeast Ohio coverage): Features Editor, 1992 -1994
The Associated Press: Photojournalist stringer, 1992 – 2005
Warren Tribune-Chronicle: Photojournalist intern, 1990 – 1991
Kent State University’s The Daily Kent Stater: Photographer, 1990 – 1991
Kent State University’s The Daily Kent Stater: Features editor, 1989 - 1990
MILITARY MEDALS (for excellence in journalism)
· Air Force Meritorious Service Medal, 2000
· Army Commendation Medals, 1987, 1987, 1991
· Army Achievement Medals, 1986, 1986, 1985, 1984, 1983
· 1997-2000: Awarded Best Air National Guard newsletter editor in Ohio – The Stinger, 180th Fighter Wing (Toledo)
· 1993: Journalist of the Year, National Guard Bureau’s Command Information Program, Magazine Format - The Buckeye Guard Magazine, 196th Public Affairs Detachment (Columbus)
· 1986: U.S. Army European Command Media Competition as managing editor of the 7th Army Training Command’s The Training Times (Germany)
o Journalist of the Year Category, 1st Place
o Editor of the Year - Best Authorized Army Newspaper, 1st Place
o Feature Story supported by Photos Category, 1st Place
· 1985: U.S. Army Signal Command Information World-wide Honors Awards – The Huachuca Scout (Ft. Huachuca, Az.)
o Journalist of the Year Category, 1st Place
o Special Section on Medical Hospital, 1st Place
o Special Achievement, Print Media, 1st Place
o Published News Article, 1st Place
o Editorial or Commentary Category, 3rd Place
o Special Achievement, Print Media, 3rd Place
o Picture Story, Honorable Mention
o Feature Article, Honorable Mention
· 1983: Contributor - Keith L. Ware winner – Ironsides, 1st Armored Division (Germany)
· 2013: ONPA - Spot News, “Up in Smoke” - 3rd place
· 2012: ONPA - Sports Picture Story, “WNIT Champs” - 3rd place
· 2009: Business of Communication’s Crystal Award of Excellence for video story on postal worker delivering mail in inclement weather
· 2006: Ohio Public Images Award, Award of Excellence, Photography
· 2003: Associated Press “Farewell Kids” – 2nd Place
· 2003: ONPA Assigned Feature “Smells Like Chicken” - 3rd Place
ONPA Enterprise Feature “Free Handout” - 3rd Place
· 2002: Ohio News Photographer Assoc. (ONPA) Enterprise Feature “Art Lover” – 1st Place
· 2001: Associated Press “Fire at the Daycare Center” – Honorable Mention
1989 and 1990: Outstanding Leadership in Student Activities Award by Department of Student Life and Student Leadership Development Board
1989 and 1990: Selectee, Kent State University Honors Day Convocation, Junior Service Award as role of student leader (President of KGLF and Vice President of Progressive Student Union)
WORKSHOPS AND SEMINARS
· Attended the National College Media Convention in New Orleans Oct. 23-27, 2013. Took notes in 18 workshops that addressed student media advising. I also brought with me the top two editors of the Owens Outlook so they could learn how to be better editors. Workshops I attended included how to use Google analytics; Advising 101; how to teach writing; and how to build a business plan.
· Presenter, Ohio Student Media Association (OSMA) conference at Kent State University: Topic - Ethics in Photojournalism, 2013
· Presenter, Ohio Student Media Association (OSMA) conference at Kent State University: Topic - Ethics in Photojournalism, 2010
· Presenter, High School Journalism conference, University of Toledo, 2006
· Facilitator, Allocations/Contingency Fund Seminar at the New Leadership Workshop, Kent State University, 1989
· Presenter, Media Access Workshop, Oscar Yrun Community Center, Sierra Vista, Arizona, 1985
· Ohio News Photographer Association
· National Press Photographer Association
· Journalist Education Association
· College Media Association
REFERENCE CONTACT INFORMATION AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST